my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  Puzzle World Forums   » Solution Help   » 18 Piece Burr

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 18 Piece Burr
Rudolf Huson
Member # 229

posted December 31, 2001 02:46 PM     Profile for Rudolf Huson   Author's Homepage   Email Rudolf Huson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi again,

The 18 piece Burr I was refering at a few days ago seemed not to be a "Van der Plas", but still I don't know how to assemble it.

In the (Dutch) book "Puzzels zelf maken en oplossen" by Jack Botermans and Jerry Slocum is a drawing to be seen at page 71.

Can anyone help? (Ted?)

--------------------

Regards, Rudolf

Ted Lakerveld
Multiple
Member # 18

posted December 31, 2001 03:33 PM     Profile for Ted Lakerveld   Email Ted Lakerveld     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hallo Rudolf,
The puzzle in the book you refer to is "van der Poel's 18 piece burr". A solution (and much more)can be found on www.asahi-net.or.jp/~rh5k-isn/puzzle.
An animation of another (the same?) 18 piece burr can be found on www-holz.cs.uni-sb.de/silvia/holzpuzzle.html

Best regards,

Ted

Happy New Year!!

Ted Lakerveld
Multiple
Member # 18

posted December 31, 2001 03:38 PM     Profile for Ted Lakerveld   Email Ted Lakerveld     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hallo Rudolf,

My second url should read:
www-hotz.cs.uni-sb.de/silvia/holzpuzzle.html

Regards,

Ted Lakerveld,

Holland

Rudolf Huson
Member # 229

posted January 01, 2002 09:41 AM     Profile for Rudolf Huson   Author's Homepage   Email Rudolf Huson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello Ted,

Thank you for the url's, but the first one should be: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~rh5k-isn/Puzzle/.
This "van der Poel's 18 piece burr" is different from the one in the book: this one has 10 identical pieces, the one in the book 12. In general all the pieces from the book are much more simple than the one you refer to.

Do you perhaps have more ideas about it?

--------------------

Regards, Rudolf

Ted Lakerveld
Multiple
Member # 18

posted January 01, 2002 03:39 PM     Profile for Ted Lakerveld   Email Ted Lakerveld     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hallo Rudolf,

I compared the picture in the book (I have it) with the graphs of Ishino. In both all the parts are present and the same. But....
somehow it seems that either the picture or the graphs mirrored/reversed (what is the right expression?). As I know by experience, neither the books of Botermans c.s., nor the graphs of Ishino are flawles. So where is the mistake?
You may contact mr. Puzzle in Australia. He has responded to the same request here on Puzzle World (www.mrpuzzle.com.au). Another possibillity is Peter Knoppers. He owns this puzzle. He has been so kind to help me with other puzzles cardit.et.tudelft.nl). If i made a mistake again wit the url's, you will find both on Internet when you look for "18 piece burr".

Happy hunting,

Ted Lakerveld

Andreas Röver
Member # 236

posted January 13, 2002 08:28 AM     Profile for Andreas Röver   Author's Homepage   Email Andreas Röver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Rudolf

I think there has been a misunderstanding: the wong book. But both book do contain only one 18 piece burr and both of them have it on page 71, what a chance. The puzzle you mean was designed by Gillett (as far as I am informed)

I can send you a hint if you want. I have no complete solution but with the hint it took me only 1 hour to built the puzzle (after serveral weeks of fuitless trying).

give me your mail adrees and I will send it to you (too big for this newsgroup).

Andreas

Rudolf Huson
Member # 229

posted January 18, 2002 02:47 PM     Profile for Rudolf Huson   Author's Homepage   Email Rudolf Huson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Andreas,

what a coincidence, both 18 piece puzzles on the same page.

Here's my mailaddress: rfhuson@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Rudolf

--------------------

Regards, Rudolf

All times are Eastern Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Puzzle World | Privacy Statement

© 1997-2006 by John Rausch

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e