my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  Puzzle World Forums   » Solution Help   » Tom Jolly's Twisty Hollow

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tom Jolly's Twisty Hollow
Thai Pham
Multiple
Member # 1594

posted June 20, 2009 09:18 AM     Profile for Thai Pham   Author's Homepage   Email Thai Pham     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did anyone build this puzzle: Twisty Hollow

I built this using Livecube by grouping piece A and D into group 1 (2 linear moves), B and C into group 2 (1 rotation move, 2 linear moves). After that, position group 1 and 2 about 45 degree of each other and twist them in place in 1 rotation move. When I built it from wood, this twisting move is impossible since the puzzle is not flexible like Livecube. I tried to round the edges as much as I can. The website says 5 moves to take out the 1st piece, did anyone confirm this solution? Are there any rotation in those 5 moves?

Bernhard Schweitzer
Multiple
Member # 33

posted June 20, 2009 09:57 AM     Profile for Bernhard Schweitzer   Author's Homepage   Email Bernhard Schweitzer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Thai

this puzzle is possible in wood without rounded edges, it is a legal turn; I made one for my collection and it works perfectly

all the best
Bernhard

George Bell
Multiple
Member # 944

posted June 20, 2009 10:14 AM     Profile for George Bell   Author's Homepage   Email George Bell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a Livecube model right here and I don't think any flexibility of the pieces or rounded edges are needed. Is your twist the same as a rotation? I put the pieces together in the same order, and it seems to me the final mating of A/D, B/C is done using a rotation.

To disassemble, I do:
B - 2 unit linear move
C - 1 unit linear move
B&C - 1 unit linear move
B&C - rotation and move to separate

--------------------

http://home.comcast.net/~gibell

George Bell
Multiple
Member # 944

posted June 20, 2009 01:08 PM     Profile for George Bell   Author's Homepage   Email George Bell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now try: Twist the Night Away

Talk about confusing!

--------------------

Bernhard Schweitzer
Multiple
Member # 33

posted June 20, 2009 03:01 PM     Profile for Bernhard Schweitzer   Author's Homepage   Email Bernhard Schweitzer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Thai and George

the second one will be confusing an needs some rounded edges for the different turns

but it is a great idea

have fun
Bernhard

Thai Pham
Multiple
Member # 1594

posted June 20, 2009 03:27 PM     Profile for Thai Pham   Author's Homepage   Email Thai Pham     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Bernhard and George,
Thank you, I was able to see the solution now. I think when I did the Livecube, it was a bit loose, so I was able to rotate the A/D and B/C with only 1 move.

You guys on this forum are great help for newbies like myself. Yes, I did try the Twist the Night Away with Livecube. I think this one has the most rotation moves of all his cubes (I counted 7 rotation moves).

Thank you Tom, please keep them coming. Tell us what kind of coffee you drink to come up with designs like this.

George Bell
Multiple
Member # 944

posted June 20, 2009 05:03 PM     Profile for George Bell   Author's Homepage   Email George Bell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For added fun ...

Try building your Twisty Hollow with a 2x1x1 piece inside. Now to take it apart you have to tilt it to shift this loose piece into the correct position.

--------------------

Tom Jolly
Multiple
Member # 394

posted July 31, 2009 06:34 PM     Profile for Tom Jolly   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Jolly     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice to see everyone is enjoying these two designs so much! Twist the Night Away was more of a happy accident than a "design", but Livecubes certainly helped the creative process.

--------------------

Tom Jolly

All times are Eastern Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Puzzle World | Privacy Statement

1997-2006 by John Rausch

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e