my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  Puzzle World Forums   » Solution Help   » Hanayama Cast Helix

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hanayama Cast Helix
Andy Tane
Member # 1675

posted December 28, 2009 12:38 AM     Profile for Andy Tane   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Tane     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I picked up a Hanayama Cast Helix puzzle about a month ago. It's rated '5' in difficulty by Hanayama. I've had great luck figuring out most of the Cast series of puzzles within a couple weeks, but the Helix has me stumped.

Can someone give me a hint to point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

--------------------

Andy Tane
-------------------
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

George Bell
Multiple
Member # 944

posted December 29, 2009 12:19 PM     Profile for George Bell   Author's Homepage   Email George Bell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am confused as well. I have managed to get the ring off and on several times now, but I think the move I use is "illegal". It is an obvious thing to try, but requires a little bit of force. I have also gotten it on a different way, but this is also so easy it is likely not the intended solution. It is also possible my puzzle is defective and the moves I use shouldn't work.

Puzzlemaster.ca doesn't have the solution on their web site. I would also be interested to know what the intended solution is.

--------------------

http://home.comcast.net/~gibell

George Bell
Multiple
Member # 944

posted January 05, 2010 04:47 PM     Profile for George Bell   Author's Homepage   Email George Bell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FYI, puzzlemaster.ca just informed me that they now have the solution up on their web site. I checked it out, and it is quite long and involved. So I must have found an illegal shortcut, or maybe my copy is defective

--------------------

Brian Pletcher
Multiple
Member # 1572

posted January 11, 2010 10:28 PM     Profile for Brian Pletcher   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Pletcher     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the shortcut in mine as well. Haven't figured out the actual solution yet. I guess it is a mistake, but it is sort of nice to be able to 'reset' it with the shortcut move if you need to

--------------------

- Brian

Brian's Damn Puzzle Blog

Frans Grotepass
Multiple
Member # 1716

posted March 22, 2010 04:19 PM     Profile for Frans Grotepass   Author's Homepage   Email Frans Grotepass     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The cast helix was given to me for my birthday by a friend. It is not released in Europe yet, but he found a Japanese Import. It took me a little time to find the solution. After finding the solution to a puzzle, I usually scrounge the web for the solution to see whether I did it right. This thread brought me to great doubt as to whether my solution was correct. This resulted in requesting the solution from puzzlemaster. It was the right solution.

Seeing that this is my first post, is it polite to actually mention a hint in finding the correct solution in this forum? Seeing that this is the section "solution help", I take it to be the case, but'll have to read the forum stickies first... Hint will follow if I know that it is acceptable.

Frans Grotepass
Multiple
Member # 1716

posted March 22, 2010 04:23 PM     Profile for Frans Grotepass   Author's Homepage   Email Frans Grotepass     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, seeing that the original poster asked for help, the hint is: The Hanayama puzzles, being Japanese, don't have flaws. The two anomolies that look like cast flaws are part of the solution. That is also the sadness in the solution provided by Hanayama. The solution is a simple series of steps and not a diagnosis of the puzzle...
George Bell
Multiple
Member # 944

posted March 23, 2010 11:49 PM     Profile for George Bell   Author's Homepage   Email George Bell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm curious where these flaws are. I looked over my puzzle and I didn't see any obvious flaws or anomolies? I can take the ring on and off, but I can't seem to do it the way shown in the Hanayama solution sheet!

--------------------

Frans Grotepass
Multiple
Member # 1716

posted March 24, 2010 08:56 AM     Profile for Frans Grotepass   Author's Homepage   Email Frans Grotepass     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you want to know where the anomalies are?
George Bell
Multiple
Member # 944

posted March 24, 2010 01:16 PM     Profile for George Bell   Author's Homepage   Email George Bell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Grotepass:
Do you want to know where the anomalies are?

Sure. Are they identified on the solution sheet?

--------------------

Frans Grotepass
Multiple
Member # 1716

posted March 24, 2010 03:58 PM     Profile for Frans Grotepass   Author's Homepage   Email Frans Grotepass     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, they are not mentioned in the solution, but they are at the point where the ring rotates. The solution is only a simple step by step solution which will not provide a well grounded understanding that ensures a guaranteed solution after a few months of drawer time.

Each side has one anomaly located close to the centre of one of the arcs. They are located on the inside (thus on the part sliding on each other.) If you need more clear directions, they will follow. I try to keep as much of the puzzle in tact in my clues.

Jesse Banwell
Multiple
Member # 1731

posted May 22, 2010 11:48 PM     Profile for Jesse Banwell   Author's Homepage   Email Jesse Banwell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This puzzle infuriated me, because I experienced the same thing a lot of you did: it is not that hard to force the ring off. I resisted the temptation, knowing that this was almost certainly not the intended solution. My friend was playing with it and showed me that he got it off, but I quickly learned that he had forced it. By this time I was starting to doubt whether that was actually the solution, and so I looked online for a solution just to verify one way or the other. I found 2 short videos on youtube, where someone shows how to take the ring off and then put it back on the RIGHT way. This is when it became even more frustrating, because I simply could not reproduce the moves that he showed! After trying for about a week, I again watched the video, this time very closely over and over about 5 times. When I got home that day I was able to remove the ring, and with a little more practice I can now solve the puzzle perfectly, with no resistance at any point. Definitely the hardest Hanayama yet for me (should be rated a 6).

All times are Eastern Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Puzzle World | Privacy Statement

1997-2006 by John Rausch

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e